10 Scary But True Facts About Data Loss
We see Data Loss victims on average of 3 a month here in Los Angeles. Most people think of Data Loss as something that happens to other people SOMETIMES. But we have had clients pay $5,000+ to retrieve accounting databases, a Spring line of clothing designs. We’ve even witnessed a Pilot based out of the Van Nuys Airport loose his business because he lost his data the night before he had to present to the FAA about something. He was a great guy that suffered a tough loss. They went out of business shortly thereafter.
Here’s 10 Facts you should be aware of about Data Loss and Data Protection
1. The average failure rate of disk and tape drives is 100% – ALL DRIVES WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL.
2. Only 34% of companies test their tape backups and, of those who do, 77% have found failures.
3. 60% of companies that lose their data will go out of business within 6 months of the disaster.
4. Over ½ of critical corporate data resides on unprotected PC desktops and laptops.
5. Only 25% of users frequently back up their files, yet 85% of those same users say they are very concerned about losing important digital data.
6. More than 22% said backing up their PCs was on their to-do list, but they seldom do it.
7. 30% of companies report that they still do not have a disaster recovery program in place, and 2 out of 3 feel their data backup and disaster recovery plans have significant vulnerabilities.
8. 1 in 25 notebooks are stolen, broken or destroyed each year.
9. Today’s hard drives store 500 times the data stored on the drives of a decade ago.
10. You have a 30% chance of having a corrupted file within a one-year time frame.
Small Business in Los Angeles, Ventura, and the surrounding cities should contact an IT Consulting Company or a Managed Services Provider and put together a Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plan. Then TEST IT. OFTEN!
We’ve seen applications upgrade and move the data storage location and that location is NOT getting backed up. That was a dreadful day for this Medical Practice who had to re-enter 9 months of data over the next 4- 5 months of overtime and working through lunches. It was expensive and impacted employee morale when they discovered that their work wasn’t being backed up.
If you don’t call CAM for your Business Continuity Solutions or Managed IT Solutions, call someone!